Who we are
The National Alternative Fuels Training Consortium (NAFTC) is a pioneer and national leader in developing, managing, and promoting programs and activities that desire to cure America’s addiction to oil, lead to energy independence, and encourage the greater use of cleaner transportation. The NAFTC is the only nationwide alternative fuel vehicle and advanced technology vehicle training organization in the United States.
It is our mission to provide the training infrastructure for implementing widespread use of alternative fuels, alternative fuel vehicles (AFVs), and advanced technology vehicles, in an effort to increase our nation’s energy security and improve our air quality by reducing greenhouse gas emissions from our transportation system.
The NAFTC is headquartered at West Virginia University and consists of National Training Centers (NTCs) located nationwide from Maine to California. Each NTC provides Training with Impact through its experienced instructors and real-world shop facilities.
The NAFTC national headquarters in Morgantown, West Virginia.
Key Highlights of the NAFTC:
- Presently, more than 1,600 courses have been conducted by the NAFTC, resulting in more than 30,000 trained technicians in AFVs and advanced technology vehicles.
- More than 1,500 workshops and education/awareness events have been conducted with more than 600,000 attendees.
- The NAFTC has conducted five National AFV Day Odyssey events:
- October 15, 2010 had more than 230,000 people in attendance at 131 sites with more than 98 million reached through media outlets.
- October 3, 2008 had nearly 200,000 people in attendance at 90 sites with more than 50 million reached through media outlets.
- October 12, 2006 had nearly 40,000 people in attendance at 60 sites with more than 30 million reached through media outlets.
- April 2, 2004 was held at 54 sites in 34 states with nearly 25,000 direct attendees and reached more than 24 million people through media coverage.
- April 11, 2002 was held at 51 sites in 31 states with more than 17,000 people in attendance.
- The NAFTC twice conducted the opening workshop at the U.S. DOE National Clean Cities Conference.
- The NAFTC has a state-of-the-art national training lab and headquarters facility at West Virginia University, in Morgantown, West Virginia.
- More than 1,000 organizations, such as Walt Disney World, the U.S. Air Force, and NASA have participated in the NAFTC’s training, education, and outreach activities.